Animal health, welfare, biosecurity and environment committee
Policy advice and recommendations on the grassfed beef industry’s activities associated with animal health, welfare and biosecurity, with a focus on:
- continuous improvement of animal welfare
- continuous improvement of disease control for both exotic and endemic diseases.
- Strategic direction and oversight of all industry service provider programs that involve grassfed levy expenditure in relation to animal, health welfare and biosecurity.
- Advice and assistance in the development strategic direction and oversight of programs to enhance the standing and perception of the grassfed beef industry within the community.
- Addressing increased public interest in animal welfare and environmental impact of beef production.
- The manner in which the beef industry improves the level and consistency of our engagement with the community in setting welfare and environmental standards.
- Disease control for both exotic and endemic diseases.
- The committee’s activities align with the three ‘Imperatives’ from the Meat Industry Strategic Plan (MISP) and the Beef Industry Strategic Plan (BISP2020).
The committee provides:
- policy advice and recommendations to the Cattle Councils Board
- involvement in MLA and AHA program and planning issues.
- The committee works with the Australian government to develop nationally consistent policies that enhance national animal welfare arrangements.
- The committee meets regularly via teleconference and four times per year in person.
- One representative from each state farming organisation member of the Cattle Council
- Direct members selected by the board after nominating at the CCA AGM
- Members appointed by Cattle Council’s Board on the basis of specific knowledge or expertise